As of 10:42 a.m. on Monday, September 5, 2011, four teams are eliminated from divisional hope and five are eliminated from wild card hope. Houston and Baltimore are eliminated from both brackets; Florida and the Cubs are eliminated from their divisions; and Minnesota, Seattle, and Kansas City are eliminated from the AL Wild Card. Who's next?
Tragic number of 1:
- Cubs in NL Wild Card (22.5 back; Atlanta has 23 to play)
- Washington in NL East (25 back; Philadelphia has 26 to play)
The Cubs host the Reds, the Nationals host the Dodgers, and the Phillies host the Braves. So, if the Cubs and Nationals can both win, then only one can be eliminated. Obviously, if they both lose, they're both eliminated. I predict that the Nationals will beat the Dodgers, the Reds will beat the Cubs, and the Phillies will beat the Braves. Then everybody goes home sad.
Tragic number of 2:
- Kansas City in AL Central (20.5 back with 21 to play)
- Seattle in AL West (21 back with 23 to play)
- San Diego in NL Wild Card (21.5 back with 22 to play)
The perfect storm here would be Oakland beating the Royals, the Angels beating the Mariners, the Giants beating the Padres, and the Tigers beating the Indians, the Rangers beating the Rays, and the Braves beating the Phillies.
Folks, we could have five teams dreaming about next year after tonight.